ProView Forum

where ProView persons gather

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-28 18:07:21

RobertH

Swings Wildly

I have followed all the points of the iPhone Quick Start many, many times (the most recent time without the rubber boot per email instruction).  It will seem to stabilize for the first few seconds then starts to swing wildly in all directions.  I have never have gotten it to remain steady.  Same results with each attempt.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bbd1lseqo3xo … 3.mov?dl=0

#2 2016-10-28 22:14:37

admin
Administrator

Re: Swings Wildly

Hi Robert,

Assume you have done :

1. firmware update
2. sensor calibration pressing from top as latest iPhone Quick Start Tutorial shows,  https://vimeo.com/187616355

If you have not done those steps (step 2 press from top important) please follow the latest version of above tutorial and do it.

Your video show strange behavior. To know why, I need you to help record the whole process of how you did phone pairing auto-tuning, from before powering on the gimbal, until it finishes. After it’s done you can rotate it a bit holding vertical, or turn 90 degree flashlight horizontal and back vertical and see if still behaving strangely. You can also power off gimbal, and power on again. I need you to record the whole process from doing phone pairing to problem occurring; start recording when gimbal is powered off. Able to see how the most important phone pairing process is done allow us to better understand what might be the cause.

It's important to enter correct weight of the phone. Deviated too much will behave strangely as in your video. Also remove case test, with bare phone for now, until getting it work correctly.

Thank you.

#3 2016-10-29 14:44:55

RobertH

I have done the firmware update.  I have followed the most recent iPhone tutorial step by step.  I will try it again, and will attempt to video it while doing the update and post the results (not having an assistant to video this is a bit problematic).  I have an iPhone 7 and Apple reports the weight as 138 grams (and am performing setup with a bare phone at all times).  I am not using the balance weight.

#4 2016-10-29 15:43:23

RobertH

I have retried the setup.  I have to say it's closer now than before.  It will do basic functions, but still does swing wildly at times.  I find that if I stand very still while it starts to swing it can sometimes settle down.  I have some video I will piece together of the various stages and will add it when possible.

#5 2016-10-29 16:06:40

admin
Administrator

Hi Robert,

Not sure how you are holding the gimbal when it begin to swing wildly. See if explanation on 3rd paragraph of this usage guideline helps: http://www.servicenavin.com/proviews3_f … c.php?id=4

#6 2016-10-29 16:15:53

RobertH

Fair question.  I am holding it upright.  Very carefully and moving slowly.  I got it to work OK for a couple minutes.  I switched it to portrait mode.  It still worked well for a few minutes then started to swing wildly again.  I turned the power off/on and it was still swinging wildly.  I disconnected/reconnected.  Still swinging.  I tried putting it back in landscape mode.  No luck.  Powered off/on and it settled.  The difficult thing here from a troubleshooting point of view is there is no one thing that seems to start it swinging.  At times it will jitter slightly and I stop in place immediately and it will settle.  Then for no apparent reason it starts to swing wildly again.

Last edited by RobertH (2016-10-29 16:18:03)

#7 2016-10-29 22:18:09

admin
Administrator

It might be good to get landscape mode working correctly before trying portrait mode. Portrait mode require putting back that rubber locking tilt motor in place, need to be removed for landscape use; this can easily be forgotten causing problem. To restore to landscape shooting mode, simply grab the gimbal and power on as shown in the iPhone tutorial video doing sensor calibration, connect and from App set gimbal to landscape mode, and power off gimbal. Then can mount phone and power up gimbal to use in landscape mode.

> Fair question.  I am holding it upright. 
> Very carefully and moving slowly. 
> I got it to work OK for a couple minutes. 

Not understandable why it could only work for a couple minutes. Best if could show a video of how phone pairing auto-tuning was done (also showing how it's balanced before powering on to do auto-tuning), what gimbal is doing while auto-tuning (also showing if gimbal being held firmly standing vertical), and when done how gimbal is maneuvered such that it swings wildly. Most likely it's at what position/angle gimbal begin to swing wildly, not how long it operated that matter. So instead of walking maneuvering gimbal with one hand and video recording gimbal maneuver with another, which easily looses reference to understand gimbal orientation w.r.t. horizontal floor, best if can maneuver the gimbal standing still without walking around, rotate it as you did walking around till it swing wildly, record with some orientation reference in view so if gimbal is held vertically, horizontally could be understood from video. Some user try to use it at 45 degree angle inclined, saying it won't hold doing pan-follow; it simply wasn't designed for that as was mentioned in usage guideline that only upright (0 degree), upside-down (180 degree), flashlight horizontal (90 degree) holding positions are supported. Thus it's important to be able to see how gimbal is oriented in the provided video to know if it's operated outside its intended range.

#8 2016-11-05 17:26:06

RobertH

I restarted from scratch.  Followed the newest iPhone tutorial step by step (video link below of results).  I kept it in landscape mode.  As before it works for a few minutes then starts swinging.

I also tried it at one event.  Landscape Mode, walking slowly and carefully.  I kept the handle straight upright.  Same results.  Works normally for a few minutes then starts swinging.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/naat2cneah2b7 … 2.mov?dl=0

Last edited by RobertH (2016-11-05 17:27:14)

#9 2016-11-06 00:45:22

admin
Administrator

Hi Robert,

From the video it's not easy to see if the gimbal is being maneuvered outside its design operating range causing it later to swing wildly. Assume powered on gimbal holding it upright, until it quivers a bit into fixed position a few seconds later, please see if using gimbal in pan-follow mode like this, https://vimeo.com/187616355 (4:41 ~ 5:16), in upright (0 degree) flashlight horizontal (90 degree) inverted (180 degree) positions has any problem. You can also try all-lock mode.

If still having problem, please see if can provide video from side-way angle, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwBD1W … hKLWs/view , record from turning on gimble to having problem, so I can better understand how it's held and determine if it's usage issue or gimbal problem. Thank you.

#10 2016-11-06 05:49:37

denis5000

Hello.
I have a similar problem to Robert's,
My gimbal starts swinging by itself from time to time.
You can see it in the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQrFQ8N1jew

I have tryed to update the firmware and to recalibrate everything from the beggining and still got the same problem.
What else should I do?

Dan.

#11 2016-11-06 08:02:45

admin
Administrator

Hi Dan,

Please make sure weight of your phone and with or w/o balanced weight is entered correctly while doing phone pairing auto-tuning. If not sure of phone's weight, can simply Google like "Galaxy Note 3 spec" and find the weight on GSMArena.com

Could you provide a video starting from doing phone pairing auto-tuning to later using it and it goes erratic? Please record from gimbal powered off state prior to doing auto-tuning. Would be good to show in the video that gimbal is firmly held standing upright while doing auto-tuning. And later when maneuvering gimbal, please take video shot from the side like this https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwBD1W … hKLWs/view, so gimbal's holding orientation can be better understood.

Also see my reply to Robert, right above your post. Try if your gimbal works OK doing this maneuver:  https://vimeo.com/187616355 (4:41 ~ 5:16)

#12 2016-11-07 06:14:24

everjung

Hi Denis5000,

Have you ever set the weight?
setting weight = your phone weight + case(or bumper) weight

In my case,
iPhone SE(113g) + bumper weight(8g) = 121g  = setting weigt..

#13 2016-11-23 14:28:22

RobertH

I have re-followed the steps and gotten it to work...but still get the swinging from time to time.  Next time I pull it out I will try and get a side-view video.  I don't believe I'm using it outside it's parameters.  I am very careful to keep it stable.  Glad to see someone else is at least experiencing a similar issue...so it's been repeated somewhere.

#14 2016-12-17 18:59:27

RobertH

I'm having another separate issue.  My charger seems to be very picky about charging.  Often the charging lights don't go on and it won't charge.  I try various different outlets and some work and some don't ideas?  Thanks.

Last edited by RobertH (2016-12-17 18:59:44)

#15 2016-12-17 23:06:43

admin
Administrator

Hi RobertH,

With any 5V USB wall adapter, the charger should light up with blue or red color. Nowadays phone charger typically have 5V 2A capability; earlier some smaller 5V 0.7A capacity one will still work, just take longer time.

What is the current supply capability of the 5V USB adapter you are using? If you still have this charger problem, please upload a video to your Google Drive or Dropbox and provide a link for us to see how the charger lights show in order to better understand the problem. Thanks.

#16 2017-06-15 08:03:27

DutchKoru

Hello
My S3 is also swinging about wildly. I have followed all instructions and instructional videos to the letter in setting up my gimbal. Last firmware update is dated 17 May 2017. (Uptodate). I am using a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Weight as per Samsung 176g. Using it with the extra weight. Phone perfectly balanced before turning on the gimbal. With the gimbal handle in the upright position, I can move the gimbal left and right horizontally with no problems. As soon as I rotate the handle left or right so that the handle is horizontal, the gimbal head starts to erratically move in all directions.
Bring the handle back to the vertical position it settles down. Put the handle to the flashlight position and again the gimbal head starts to move erratically in all directions with a lot of vibrations.
I dont think I need to make a movie as there has been others who have done this.
I have just bought a DJI Osmo Mobile gimbal and I can move this gimbal in ALL directions without fault or vibration.
I need the S3 replaced or reimbursed my money as it cannot and will not be repaired by software updates or continually running calibrations.

I am so disheartened by the performance of the S3.

#17 2017-06-22 02:03:39

admin
Administrator

Hi DutchKoru,

Please see FAQ #1 regarding the vibration issue, http://www.servicenavin.com/proviews3_f … .php?id=37

Please see paragraph #5 of Usage Notice on how to allow us to better understanding of your problem in order to provide further assistance, http://www.servicenavin.com/proviews3_f … c.php?id=4

Thank you.

#18 2017-06-25 14:08:28

DutchKoru

Hello

I have made a movie that you can see here: https://youtu.be/Vaq4Ryv2niI

From the start of the setup to the end.

Would be great to get some feedback..........

#19 2017-07-07 10:52:33

DutchKoru

Still no reply about watching my movie and any possible faults I might be making. For me, I have done everything correctly, as seen in my movie, and my Proview S3 does NOT work.
I now have a DJI Osmo Mobile gimbal AND a SNOPPA M1 gimbal and they both do exactly as described by their respective companies, faultlessly.
My Proview S3 is still under warranty, so I wish it to be working or my investment money paid back to me.

This problem of the gimbal swinging erratically is just not a problem with mine, but from many other people too.

Board footer